Wednesday 11 June 2014

An introduction


So after years of nagging, my mate Tag-nut eventually convinced me to write something about the world cup.
I said to him "Tag-nut, what do I know about the world cup", to which he correctly pointed out, "a lot more than some people".

 I was there when Bobby Moore picked up the trophy at Wembley in 66, although I was only 9, I was also there when Kevin Keegan headed that gilt edged chance past the post versus Spain in 82,  I was there when Lineker did the same thing against the Argentinians in 86.  Waddle, Gazza and all the fun of Italia 90, Beckham sent off in 98, Japan and Korea in 2002, Germany in 2006 and finally the shower of shit I had to put up with in Africa four years later, not to mention the Euro's since 96.  The only tournament I missed was in 1970 due to helping me old pot and pan out on the milk round for a month.

So this blog is going to include some of those stories and some new stories about this years tournament. Unfortunately due to circumstances I will not be travelling to the world cup this year, but me and my mates Tag-nut and Penfold will be meeting up and taking in the big games, like Ivory Coast v Japan that kicks off at 2 am on Sunday morning, sure it will be a corker.

I hope you can join me on this journey through time and then back again, hopefully we will have a bit of a laugh on the way and hopefully England will get out of the group stages and keep the interest going to at least the quarter finals, where we lose on penalties to Spain.

Happy world cup eve and come on Englaaaaaand!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment